Friday, October 17, 2008

"The Evangelical Problem"

What am I talking about when I use this phrase: "The Evangelical Problem"?

There is one thing I wrote back in 2007 on this, that has stuck with me as my working definition:


I can hear even in my own mind the scriptures, and they seem to be pleading for their moment to depart my lips. I'd rather let someone squirm with the Word of God alone in their own chamber than see myself their equal in Christ and have fellowship with them. Do you see how the Word is used as a mechanism to assess and drug ourselves righteous, and to make ourselves experts? The Word is often temptingly used as a wall to protect the supposed sanctity of our own lives.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Good point. :) I have been enjoying your posts and would love to hear or receive your final conclusions regarding the church study. :) I can't believe you did not talk more about this with me the other day, I am with you on the questioning of some of the methods and am currently looking into some of the other issues that you have raised. :) I appreciate your loving honesty and pray that you will be able to find the balance and be able to respectfully present your ideas without coming across rude or offensive to your table mates. Thanks again for always giving me something to think about. :)

Sanctification said...

Teresa,

You and another at your table noticed something was out of place, too. I went and looked after we talked, and then I noticed her direct statements of purposefully taking things out of context. You know, I think it could be okay, to deliberately choose only specific verses to study, if the subject material was not controversial to begin with.

It's possible that she does not understand why the sovereignty of God needs balance. Let's talk again about this.

I'm glad to share this with someone besides just me.

Michele

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)