Monday, October 20, 2008

Conference's Confirmation

During the FGA National Conference I got confirmation, again. I can't remember who it was, who said this. Perhaps it was Dr. Dave Anderson? A statement was said that I've been wondering upon, for years. This is what I remember him saying:

"There are three kinds of legalism. Legalism for salvation with no faith in Christ. Legalism for salvation, with faith in Christ. And then there is legalism, in sanctification. Galatians three, makes it clear that the church there was having trouble understanding their sanctification and works of the law."

Awesome! I had been reading the book of Galatians and I too noticed that Galatians 3 had to be about sanctification. But, the beginning of the book (Galatians one) started with explaining the gospel of justification. It was very difficult for me to be able to... prove that Paul was describing sanctification here. I had been desiring to say to others that Galatians was saying that justification and sanctification too, were the same gospel, the same message, the same Way: faith, alone. The reason why Paul glides from justification by faith, alone, into sanctification by faith, alone, is because the message is simply one, from start to end.

I didn't have anyone to talk about this, with. I'd tell people and they thought I was gravely mistaken. I can't remember too many instances of people who will confess that sanctification is accomplished by faith, alone. At the conference, Pastor Tom Stegall said this, too. I am blessed! I don't have to read the bible and feel all alone, anymore!

If it's true, if it is true that we are without any condemnation by faith, alone, this is something to get excited about! This is something to proclaim, to be loud about, an unusual, untapped righteousness to exercise and wear publicly.

Some people say "Does this mean obedience to the law is irrelevant?'' I say, no, the nature of obedience by faith is that the faith becomes so established that it wells up and overflows, into lifestyle. There is only one place for true transformation, and that is in the presence and fellowship with the Father through the cross of Christ. That's where true obedience comes from.

Therefore as Free Grace people we ought to be in the business of defending the access to obedience by faith, alone! So many stay away from God because their lifestyle isn't good enough, and by doing so miss their one place to experience deliverance!

Recently I've gotten excited about the new pastor who is coming to our church, who really understands the need for culturally-relevant discipleship. But, listening to the lectures on "grace-driven" relationships, shows me that Free Grace can do the same.

Justification by faith alone.
Sanctification by faith alone.
Culturally-relevant discipleship.


My heart is full with joy: this is the full package. I'm so pleased.

5 comments:

Aletheia said...

Smiling hugely :)

Faith alone Michele....abiding in Him

Not only is it a resting , it is such a release...just like you said..wells up and overflows.

Amen.

I so enjoy reading your journey.

Dear sister, I only learned all this in the last two years....or I guess I should say....solidified it...in the last 2 years.

and it is FREEDOM

Full of joy....this is exactly what they meant...that our joy may be made full

thank you for the encouragement
A

Sanctification said...

You also think sanctification is by faith, alone??

I'd like to hear more about it, if you can share....

Michele

Aletheia said...

yes I do...of course I do. and I do not mean to sound flippant....but why would it be by anything else?

faith at the beginning, on the walk and at the end....what began as a small mustard seed....grows into an incredible tree on our sanctifying walk

I suppose I so take it for granted that it is faith alone, that it may be hard to explain why it is by faith alone....

every jot and tittle that I read shows me over and over that it is by faith...every sunrise I watch...every child's smile....every aggravation.....it is all about Him and the only thing that is required of me is faith.

Faith growing..what an incredible thing that is...sanctification, what a privilege.

Now here is the rub...how to communicate what we know to be the truth....the conversation is important.

History shows us that those who spoke faith alone for salvation were often labeled antinomians.

we know that we are as far from that as the east is from the west...but how to communicate it?

how to communicate that abiding by faith produces the most incredible fruit.

yes, michele, faith... very precious

Aletheia

who is nothing if not constant ;) and always, always willing to grow

Sanctification said...

Aletheia,

Others must constantly ask you, then, "That means you can do whatever you want?"

What do you tell them?

Michele

Aletheia said...

Morning Michele :)


I tell them "No , faith alone does not mean you or I can do whatever we want." and of course I want to expand on that , so I am going to be thinking on how to write it all out and hopefully post it over at my blog....as I am sure it will be rather long :)

While I am pondering your question to me, I have one for you ;)

Should discipleship be culturally relevant or Christ relevant?

(this is not a trick question...just one that I think is going to lead us into some great conversation!)

have a beautiful day in Him and with yours

A

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)