Saturday, September 27, 2008

That Greatest Priority

Whether or not those who stand in opposition to our truth will ever change a hair of their beliefs, is irrelevant. Whether or not they will change a jot of their personal practices, matters none. The command to love remains, in my mind. Whether or not we will ever stand in mutual fellowship because of commands for separation, matters none as well. We still must, even at a great distance, be actively and intentionally practicing love for all.

(But, if you ask me, I'd say that obeying this command is the most powerful worker of change, but you can disagree and that's okay with me).

Over at JP's blog I have been having a conversation with Jonathan (JP) and Tim Nichols about the free grace rift. I invite you to read along. Here is the post I made today, which I really want to broadcast in a bigger way:

Hi Tim,

I too apologize for taking a long time to reply. This issue is weighing heavily on me in the last couple days. Things are getting worse; not better. Most of this has to do with perceptions of how to reach solutions.

I was thinking today, about the command to love. Isn't love more important and more powerful than doctrine? We are to contend for the faith. But if we're not loving it counts nought.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 1 cor 13:2

No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. 1 john 4:12

I read 1 cor 13 and this is what I see:

- Love never fails
- Knowledge is in part
- Knowledge will pass away
- three remain: faith hope and love
- but the greatest is love


I read 1 john 4 and I notice:

- Love is discussed in a context of testing the spirits and messages of falsehood and error from truth and godliness
- Anyone who lives in love is abiding with God
- We are commanded to love
- Whoever lives in love, lives in God
- God lives in whoever lives in love


What do you think?

To me, we may all be honestly loving one another in terms of how we feel and what we are attempting.

But on the other hand, I know it is true that love can be mistranslated. Have you ever heard of the five love languages? In the same way when I send a message of love it may fail to be "heard" or "received" toward its recipient. So in my mind it begs the question: Isn't the success of us loving as God commanded, dependent upon whether or not it has been received?

So we need to get really close to, and listen to, the person whom we desire to love in Christ. And listen for how they receive love.

What do you think of this?

Michele

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post, Michele. I think you've really hit the nail on the head. Not only does this help with the "rift", but it also helps us with our neighbors who may belong to another denomination, or may not even be believers.

Thanks for your words of great biblical import.

Ben

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)