Thursday, September 11, 2008

Capacity or Pregnancy?

Four years ago I was in the third of a four-semester-sequence of anatomy & physiology. It was the pre-nursing program and I was having a blast, getting the highest score on exams half the time. Sometimes I spoiled the grading curve for everyone else, and it didn't make me popular.

We were doing a lab one day, and I'll never forget it. We were supposed to use this device to measure our partner's lung capacity. You breathe into it and it would give a reading. The instructor told us before we began that men are structured having a higher capacity than women. Afterward the class compared results. You'd be surprised to learn as I was, that I had the largest lung capacity of the whole class of men and women... and that I was seven months pregnant with a child at the time.

I always think about that lab as a metaphor for what I am like. I know how to nail others against the wall. I can take scripture, critical thinking, and the skills God gave me for advocacy and go to town on something or someone. It's like an extension of my person, easy, almost unconsciously put into action. God gave me the capacity.

But that's boring. It's been done. I've done it, others can do it well too. It's not interesting anymore to me. I want to work on the thing that challenges me to restrain that capacity. I'm thinking now of how I employ God's Spirit in me and broadcasted to those I touch.

I want to practice pregnancy....


"...bearing with one another...."

-- ἀνέχω, "forbear," to sustain; endure

The one I bear, who is attached like the child within, is not me. Their concerns are not mine, their problems not my fault or my responsibility. I don't have to do this. I shouldn't have to be minimized by the shortcomings of others.



(source)

But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father's nakedness.

He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.


I'm interested to bear with others. Even encroaching upon my own capacity.

God, open my eyes that I might restrain myself.


scriptures: col 3:13 gen 9:23 prov 17:9 prov 10:12

2 comments:

Rose~ said...

Thta is a very interesting post, Michelle. :~)

Sanctification said...

I'm kind of weird sometimes.

:D

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)