Thursday, March 30, 2006

Trinity?

In my conversations with the JWs, (Jehovah's Witnessees), several weeks ago we started a new chapter about Jesus and the interesting point of the conversation went like this:

"Well, this part right here I don't know if it is right because as I mentioned a long time ago, I see Jesus being called YHWH God throughout all the scriptures; the Father and Jesus share that name," I said.

Greg looked at me and said, "That's right. Now you do believe Jesus and Jehovah are separate persons, right?"

"Yes..," I confirmed.

"But we don't believe that Jesus is God, because he was created by Jehovah, you see," Dorothy said.

"Yes," agreed Greg, "don't you believe that Jesus was created? I thought we had gone over that material over the last several months."

"Well, we had gone over it and I thought it was interesting and understandable where you were coming from. But I do disagree and maybe I don't communicate by not saying anything," I offered.

"Oh, well you should have said something!" said Dorothy.

"Oh, yes, you should let us know if you don't think something is right and we'll discuss it. So you believe Jesus was not created but is eternal...?" asked Greg.

"Yes! I do not think he was created," I said, breathing relief to finally say it with emphasis.

"So, do you believe in the trinity, then, too?" asked Greg

And I kinda fumbled, giving a partial yes and a partial maybe.

So that is the question I have been trying to answer. But I haven't hardly even cracked it open yet.

I have so far about 37 pages of 12-font size, straight scripture study examining the issue of Jesus being equally YHWH God. To me, and I can't explain why, Jesus being proved YHWH is so much more important. That's a good start and all, but what about the Spirit? What about contrasting the three of them at once?

And in some ways, I'm kind of worn out. I'm going into the greek which is even harder and there's a lot of great stuff and it all seems so convincing, so, considering the Spirit study, my heart is not ready for an equally committed and extensive, brand new project on that topic. In fact, I started doing all my research on paper for the first part and then stalled indecisively for a week because I knew once I put it on the computer, I was committed to a seriously huge project.

What I see so far as I am passing by scriptures, regarding the Spirit, is this:

Jesus is the expressed person of the Godhead.
The Father is the unseen person of the Godhead.
Jesus gets so much glory in worship because He is expressed to us, that He defers all glory and priveledge of knowing the dates and knowing the saints, to the Father alone to know.
Jesus gives all His credit to the Father.
The Father has appointed all things glorious to Jesus because He is dying to self in heart as well.

The Spirit is fully God because: God is Spirit, and according to scripture, God's spirit is the Holy Spirit, and Jesus' spirit is the Holy Spirit.

BUT: I don't see the Holy Spirit needing to be mentioned, as a rule in concept, to avoid lack of recognition of God and His nature. Jesus came to earth to prove YHWH God was willing to walk and show Himself and if we know Jesus then we know the Father; we know God. The Holy Spirit indwells all of God. The Holy Spirit does, as an entity, all the things God does. But, the Holy Spirit doesn't seem as necessary to understand to me as Jesus and therefore, the Father. It's like an assumed collorary, maybe, is the best way to say it.

In fact, if I had to draw a picture of what I see, it looks like this: Two circles, representing the Father and the Son, and, two arrows pointing back and forth between the two circles, being the Spirit. I -- don't -- see an image of three circles equally spaced; a trinity. However I do have to say that if you grabbed the arrows (the Spirit) and asked the question, "what is it?", I'd have to say in reply, "It's YHWH God."

Now when I consider what I wrote, it sounds Trinitarian in content, however you may also be able to see as I do, that it most likely isn't orthodox.

How do I feel about potentially being measurably unorthodox, and even misrepresenting the truth as I speak to the JW's or anyone else who might be reading this blog? I'm okay with it. I'm okay with it. Truly emitting the Truth, the Way and the Life doesn't mean I have all the answers. In fact, God likes to choose weak and foolish things to shame the wise. As a result, because the three of us are "Studying the issue of the trinity together," I can be frankly honest when I say, "I don't know, but I want to find out. Let's let the scriptures speak to us to find an agreeable revelation." So it's quite alright to be weak in knowledge about God. Maybe one day I'll be able to draw the three circles if indeed it is a perfect trinity like I'm feeling it should be. In the meantime, God's okay with using me and I'm approvable to be close to God because of another issue; what is in my heart, and what is in my heart is a desire to love God, because I know He has loved me.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)