Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A good measure counterproductive

Doesn't devotion to Jesus make it irrelevant, therefore; counterproductive even, to be measured well by the commands of God??

??

"I died to the law so that I might live for God." gal 2:18

Certainly it is good to obey the laws of God, so the harm itself only comes from how we consider our obedience. Do we see our obedience like the Pharisees do, or as John the Baptist did?

Pharisees vs John. Do we keep it or give it away? If I give it away then what title should I call myself? How about "the least?"

So now I am aspiring to be amongst my fellow disciples (followers of Jesus) the sorest of losers, as measured by the laws of God. I hope that by doing so, I will be set free to really plumb the depth of God's grace. Not that my sin itself increases, but my acknowledgement of sin does....

And if then my life powder-kegs by His will into more obedience, then I prove it has nothing to do with me; my goodness. It's only and constantly proving His goodness. I used to want to see myself all put together as a Christian. I thought that's what I needed to be set free in obeying Him. In fact, those standards of needing to be "someone" rather than "no one" are the very thing holding me back! It divided me into pride, complacency, and self-righteousness, and my heart became impure.

"Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one at the table? But I am among you as one who serves." luke 22:25

"Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant" phil 2:6-7

So I am going to give up my righteousness too. I know I have received some, but I am going to offer it all back and let it rather be all His.

Let my righteousness be like the flower in the daylight -- fleeting and powerful in beauty and life and love for those whom God wants to bless through me, and then gone. That message needs to be for His glory and not mine. I have no credits in my account. Only temporal sin. Because I gave the credits away (to Him here on earth), even though the world may increasingly see me as rich in obedience, in my heart I am really poor by my own choices to humble myself.

"sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, but posessing everything." 2 cor 6:10

The paradox of being the least and the greatest.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)