Thursday, March 30, 2006

Not far from the kingdom of God :)

It's kinda funny that my idea of scripture's content is foundationally structured by the dialogue in the movie, "Jesus of Nazareth." Another words, when I think of a passage in the gospels I actually see Jesus speaking in a scene in the movie, even though I actually haven't watched it in about five years now.

Mark 12:28-34 doesn't mention that Jesus is having a conversation with Joseph of Aramathea; in the bible he's just a "teacher of the law." But I like how the movie did it with Joseph, and I remember the scene:

Joseph and the other Pharisees are having a passionate but optimistic conversation over dinner with Jesus about whether or not Jesus' idea of obedience by the Spirit will make forlorn the laws of God; their very identity. "What is the greatest commandment?" Jesus asks Joseph. Joseph looks up toward heaven as if it is spiritual to him personally, and quotes the Shema: "Hear, O Israel, YHWH our God, YHWH is one."

Jesus replies, "Well said. You are not far from the kingdom of God, Joseph of Aramathea."

What did He mean by that? Was it just the knowledge of the shema that made Joseph close? I think it's something more significant, and I have been haunted in my thoughts for a few days now because of this passage....

Consider:

“’For I am YHWH, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior..." Is 43:3

“And everyone who calls on the name of YHWH will be saved;” Joel 2:32

“That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ ... you will be saved.” rom 10:9

“’...then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. He is “the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.” Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.’” Acts 4:10-12

Joseph must have gotten very excited in his heart to hear such an awesome encouragement as this. "You are not far from the kingdom of God, Joseph," but what did it mean? How was he made close? How close was it? Where was it? I am sure he asked those questions as I am right now.

"You are not far from the kingdom of God, Joseph; the Only Lord God sits right in front of you, and is speaking to you," is the way my heart is moved to think.

I am thinking Jesus meant that Joseph was close because Jesus was only a few feet away, while Joseph was acknowledging Himself in the Shema as his God. There is one YHWH, and the Son YHWH, in the likeness of man, was here to have a relationship with him.

And that makes me excited, too.

The scriptures are meant to be read this way. They are meant to be something that excites us to be "close."

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)