Tuesday, August 26, 2008

a cool night

So I went to the CEF "wordless book" tent at the state fair.

The highlight of the evening was when three teenage girls came right up to me and were very excited to listen to the story, "we should do this," they told each other. So they sat down and one understood sin, another did not. Another one asked "does this mean God chooses everything that happens?" I paused, and said no gently. When the story was done I told them that each one of them needed to choose for themself whether or not they believed in what Jesus did on the cross, for them and their sin. I could not make this choice for them and if they were not convinced, they could go on their way and think about it a little longer before making up their mind. They all said yes for themselves. One asked, "what happens if I do more wrong stuff? I couldn't talk to God because I just kept getting worse and worse."

That kicked in a little bit of zealotry so I flipped back to the red page and I said, "whenever you think about how you've done wrong things, you just go straight back to the cross and begin again." Then I pulled out the bible and showed them 1 john 1:9--"If we confess our sins he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

As we walked back out of the tent I gave them a wordless book and said, "if you have brothers or sisters, a mom or dad you can go home and tell them now, too, just what you know about what Jesus has done for you." One girl said bothered, "I don't live with my mom." So I asked for her mother's name and she told me and I asked if I could pray for her mother. She said yes. So I prayed for them and she was touched.

Then another CEF volunteer walked over and said to the girl, "I know you." This CEF volunteer is the foster-parent of this girl's brother, from this broken family, for the same reason this girl can't live with her mom. How sad, but I could tell she was downright stunned. And so were the rest of us.

There was only one bad moment in the whole thing. I didn't bring a jacket so as instructed I borrowed the CEF windbreaker left available. I had it on for several minutes when all of a sudden I felt a vibration against my arm. I dropped the coat to the ground, and the other three volunteers looked at me. There was something in my coat. So the one guy starts turning the sleeve inside out, and out breaks a moth!

Yes, that's right, I said a moth!!














******#&%T&@moth$%#$%^******

Kkkkk! I can barely load the image without getting eebie geebies.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)