Friday, March 07, 2008

Me Lucky Charms

Absorbing more from class again tonight, I'm wrestling a bit with my former attitude of spiritual disciplines. (The disciplines are things like praying, going to church, worship, reading the Word.) I used to think that how I became increasingly obedient to God's commands was by my spiritual participation in spiritual disciplines. As if doing these things (and having faith grow as a result) would make me want to obey God. They would change my mind, they would force themselves on me "as an irresistible gift." It also assumed that, once I had the faith that grew, said faith would automatically complete itself in obedience. This automationed idea of faith mixes the distinction between conviction and choice. The practice has been nagging at my conscience long before I discovered free will. But, I don't need more Spirit. What I need is to submit to the Spirit that I have. And that is what Romans 8 teaches.

It's funny, how I've been trying to massage these for all they were worth. It was getting tiresome.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)