Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A new door for the gospel

God has been impressing me with a burden to share Christ with the neighbors just out of my usual reach. You know I'd like to hang out with people "above me" who feed me, who equip me according to the Word of God but in the last several months I feel His admonishment to know that if this is all I've become, I forsake these precious children I see every day from the opportunity of moving from death to life.

The key that I believe God wants to use to unlock this door is my neighbor who is now coming with me to church since December. She knows them all well. Transients, addicted to alcohol, even drug dealers. It doesn't bother me, bring it on, right? She is one of them as far as they are concerned, and that means everything I think for the sake of transmission of the truth. She is truly a delight in my life. I get the opportunity to sit back and watch God just go to town. I'm not doing anything much at all! This lady is drawing new boundary lines in her life, she is desperate to be in God's house and to learn and meditate on the Word of God at all times. I take her to church for nearly all of my own things and she will raise her hand and give a testimony right in the middle of the sunday evening service when it isn't "the right time." To my shame I get a little red in the face at the moment. But she doesn't know what church protocol is, all she knows is, God is revealing Himself and His glory in her heart. She wants to share it.

I trepidly mentioned to her that I want to do a bible study for them, but that I would do it without her if she didn't feel the same way. But she does. She is excited about it. It's pretty obvious to both of us though that this cannot be "a bible study" or they won't come. Okay. So now we're brainstorming. We've been brainstorming the "how" to get them, for two or three weeks. I don't want to stay in this stage, I want to get an idea going and then do it. Satan wants to put it off. So I'm writing this blog post hoping that it'll kick me in gear as my class winds up this Saturday. Perhaps readers have some ideas, and that would be glorious!

So, both of us have two ideas. Mine is, we should just throw a party with no motive. Host them with food and quality time. This is what Jesus did in Matthew's house - he had a party. She thoroughly agrees.

Her idea is, that we should study the book of Revelation. She says she has talked to them and they find the topic of end-times interesting. In fact it was through the Lahaye books that she started realizing how important it was to get her relationship with Christ back in the right place. I have doubts about this. I certainly can't teach it.

Now I would greatly prefer to read the Gospel of John. I think it could get really messy and irrelevant to talk about the end times. On the other hand, just a little interest, combined with love, might make many ask to know the gospel. I am aware that even opening a Bible and having someone read from it can be Spiritually impacting.

I want this neighbor of mine to lead the study. I realize how little biblical knowledge she has, but somehow I do feel that this is God's will. And I will be there too to help make any corrections if they are necessary, at least this is how little I wish to interfere according to my own plans.

I've been praying that God will prepare my heart. This means I gotta get really lowly. Gonna get a little dirty, with life that is. Usually I can span the gap okay, and put aside chipper-Christian girl for a few hours on Fridays because who wants to see my bright shiny life when you realize you're pregnant and your life is falling apart? - and so on. This time I want something really authentic in this lowliness. Where I truly can't see myself as being any better off than they, as if I am one of them, without the sin of course. So I have invited the LORD to humble me.

LORD, humble me. But please, be gentle. Don't leave me, okay?

I love this song.

4 comments:

Missy said...

I'll pray for you and your friend!

Something that changed my life and made me see my need for Christ was the realization that sin is sin is sin - that it all looks the same to God. We all have the same need for salvation, in this regard you are just like them. Be yourself.

Sanctification said...

Missy,

sin is sin is sin

Yeah! That's a very good thing to meditate on. I suppose I never think about sin, firstmost, as being part of the gospel message because of my own testimony... and many others I've heard where, without an opportunity to have someone lead them to Christ they found their own way to the cross of Christ. My salvation experience was my own calling out not for eternal life, not for the removal of the punishment, but a call out to God to walk with Him (fellowship).

I certainly have been meditating on what the gospel is this week. I got a lot of discussion on why we do the Wordless Book the way we do it. Which is, to help the child internalize their trust, in Christ. I see that as a good thing.

As for this issue I'd like to start a short series on being missional. It'll have to wait till next week after my practicum is done.

The best teachers are the ones that show true compassion for their students.

Thanks for the prayers, too. How is your group going - oh I suppose I should have asked you at your blog!

:D Michele

Lou Martuneac said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Teresa said...

I have not checked in with your blog for a few weeks and I am so excited as I read your current direction! You are truly living out your faith in a very real and selfless way! I will pray for you and your new group!

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)