Wednesday, March 11, 2009

His n' Hers

I've been thinking a lot lately about glory.

Steve Saint is coming to my church on March 22. Saint's life story is the subject of a 2006 independent film titled End of the Spear. I have written a lot about it on my blog but I haven't label-linked it up yet. This is incredible for me. I have written many blog posts on the missionary stories and authorship of his family and fellow co-laborers. Out to my garage I went and dusted off those Elisabeth Elliott books. My how I love them.



















Steve and Ginny Saint


What one story stuck in my mind?

As the first missionary in Algiers, Lilias Trotter was often staggered by the immensity of the task of carrying the gospel across the desert wastes to the countless little villages hidden among the sandhills. After seven years she went to England, so exhausted she felt that she needed, "weeks for prayer, but at present I don't seem to have sense for concentration in prayer or anything else, and I am just vegetating, and writing up this journal...." The doctors said her nerves and heart were worn by the strain of the battle and by the climate. Added to these physical buffetings was the sense of evil and spiritual oppression.

A group of Sunday School leaders... visited her in 1907, asking to "see the work."

Then came the clue in the old saying, "Difficulty is the very atmosphere of miracle." She wrote, "We decided to show in all honesty, not what we had done, but what had not been done, and believe in God to use the very weakness of it all."

The day arrived..., and she showed them maps she had arranged around her courtyard, "with their woefully thin firing line of stations, and the still sadder record given by tiny red flags of places once visited, and left again to their darkness...". And the outcome? Before [the group] had returned home, they had raised enough money to support six missionaries for three years. God used "the very weakness of it all."
[1]

It was that story; the story of nothing. The story of serving Christ and having nothing to show for it. Christ had the greatest glory when she had the least notoriety or praise. What about my missions? Be honest "Sanc": are you attracted to your missions because you want His glory, or hers? Well, right now in my life I'm experiencing passion for doing a few ministries that bring attention to self. Going to Rwanda, presenting the gospel to all the Cubbies last Wednesday, picking up blogging again and so on. Somewhat up front, center. Hmm. Some missions require being highly visible. People need ministry in crowds as much as they do in the backward places. The strain of the public mission is, like Paul who tore his clothes in distress, being diligent to keep pointing to heaven in all things. Is a public ministry more strenuous... than an obscure one? I am thankful to have found in times passed that there is a lot of pleasure in having only Christ's attention in a place few notice as ministry. I also recall at this time how I adore Debi Pearl's Created to be His Helpmeet. My roommates groomed me from the first moments of consciousness in Christ, with this mindset.

Are the public ministries less sanctifying? Is it possible the obscure ministries are less sanctifying? I'm not really sure.

It is really hard to imagine finding a sort of ministry where the attention of humanity is nullified.

I've spent a lot of years of my life pressing on in service where I had no praise or attention. It may have energized me lately to put on the opposite type and see... how Christ provides. But as I write this, I look back on those "paths through suffering" days and think, "ahh." Those were kind of sweet, I miss that.

I thank you LORD, for your love and your rest. Help me have open hands to receive what You would give, and keep me squarely placed in Your own will and not my own.



[1] Elliott, Elisabeth. A Path Through Suffering. Regal Books, Ventura CA. 1990, pp.109-110, 113

2 comments:

goe said...

I read THROUGH GATES OF SPLENDOR and IN THE SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY when I was about 18. You seem like a Jim Elliot kind of person (the female version of course!). The Lord will lead you in the path He has for you! You are a blessing!

Sanctification said...

Gary,

:D Those are the two more famous ones I do not have nor have read. I was thinking I'd raid the local supply so I can get an autograph. I might have him sign my own book(s).

Did you ever see the movie? I just adore the part where, after her husband has been murdered, she and the other women and children have been kidnapped. The tribesmen stand there and talk about what they are going to do to or with them. Then, they let the women live there among them. And that was how the ministry was born, the gospel declared.

I've been through something quite similar, in the two years I lived at home on and off while being pressed to declare my faith, not sure what was going to happen to me either.

Today both my mother and father are believers. Very, very infantile, but I've been perpetually stunned that He was able to save in the face of such opposition, at that time.

Being a parent, I don't know how brave I really can be for Jesus. And besides, right now my mission is largely in the home. I am truly grateful to have it.

I'm so grateful to get to know a Southern brother. How fun is that. Tell me a little about what you're up to down in the Deep South!

For fun,
The leader of their tribe confesses his faith in Jesus Christ, with Steve Saint translating.

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)