I just wanna keep reading scripture with my own mind first. I can participate with confidence (and hopefully not arrogance!) in religious discussions both with believers and unbelievers because I have faith that I have read it and understood it (which doesn't happen just once, but over a lifetime). If I had read commentaries first, I think for me it would have squashed that whole creative element where I get to experience that God has spoken in what He has provided, and especially the blessing that comes when I compare my notes with the theologians and discover the fulfillment of Paul's desire, for the body to have unity.
Who wants to be known as a plagiarist, anyway; who wants their idea of scripture to be recalled through other men's explanations?
I guess this is one of the reasons why I love discussion forums. It's having some someones to read things a little contrary than you'd like them to, a little differently than you'd otherwise be able to, all so that I might pray and discover the challenge God has designed in the full and proper meaning of a passage.
I realize that I unintentionally insult the intelligence of those who read -- you already knew the good in reading scripture first and opinions of scripture second. I'm starting a new study though.
A lot of heat has been given out lately over the passages of scripture which teach a separation or dis-union with those who teach false doctrines. Before I could ever apply them to another group, I better know for myself what they say. I want my mind to be open to the divides the Word would make, not the scare-driven uneducated boundary lines I have already been trying to hold up and hold at bay.
For that reason I purposely have not inquired further into one group's heavy reliance and reasonings for living in a way commanded by these passages. I'll make conclusions on their stuff when I am done with the Word. Though, I would greatly desire anyone's comments, large or small, on ways they would want to correct or widen my understanding.
Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. He chose the lowly things of the world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before Him. (1 cor 1:26,28)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
profile
blog archive
-
▼
2008
(197)
-
▼
June
(18)
- If a JW comes knockin'
- The Letter of the Law
- Concordance: "Gospel"
- Paul & Prayer
- "The False Gospel Passages" 1 cor. 15
- Reading it foremost
- Who was Jesus when I was saved?
- Why I Fit in Free Grace
- "There's a baby boy wrapped around my neck" and ot...
- Faith, Belief, Knowledge
- The "Wordless" Bracelet Gospel
- You Will Know Them...
- Testify Again
- Snow Princess
- How liberal am I?
- Four-Point Declaration of Freedom
- The costs of one of the male kind
- "At the Cross"
-
▼
June
(18)
No comments:
Post a Comment