Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Paul & Prayer

This evening I got down on my hands and knees and scoured the floor. Earlier in the day, my one-year-old son took advantage of his mother's twenty minutes in the shower, to attack the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance sitting on the ottoman. He tore out tiny strips from the entries "gospel" and "peter" and slimed them up, discarding them around the room.

What a lesson that was. For a few minutes I fulfilled a childhood dream of being an archaeologist. I needed that page's entry on the gospel because I'm studying it. I couldn't help but be amused at the symbolism. I spent those minutes wondering about the reconstruction of the gospel page in the story of my life.

I heard a sermon last Sunday on the radio. Let me share what I received.

There are three passages on prayer in chapter eleven of Luke. The first is the Lord's model prayer, the second is the friend who knocks in the middle of the night and because of his persistence, the owner gives him all he needs. The third is Jesus teaching us that if we who are evil know how to give good things to our children, how much more will our Heavenly Father give us the Holy Spirit?

All of these passages on prayer, are so positive. They inspire to ask God and to hope in Him. But sometimes I keep on praying and nothing happens. For some people this goes on for years. How come these prayers aren't being answered?

The pastor on the radio illustrated with Paul's experience:

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."
(2 cor 12)

Here, God doesn't answer his prayer, just like some of mine. The pastor explained that when we ask the Father for good things, He knows how to give what is good -- the Holy Spirit. Sometimes what we ask for is met in having more of the Holy Spirit.

The study notes for the passage on Paul's thorn say:

Thorn means "splinter," "stake," or "something pointed." Flesh can refer to the body or the sinful nature. Three basic suggested interpretations of the thorn are as follows: (1) If flesh is a reference to the body, it is a physical ailment like an earache, headache, eye trouble, epilepsy, or recurrent fever. (2) If flesh is a reference to the fallen nature, then the thorn could be a temptation. (3) If the expression is figurative, it could refer to persecution or opposition. Most commentators interpret it as a physical ailment. Many suggest that it was eye trouble, on the basis of Gal. 4:15. Messenger of Satan God permitted Satan to afflict Paul as He did Job (see Job 1; 2). Buffet means "to strike with the fist" (see Matt. 26:27). Paul's thorn was a painful, humiliating experience given to prevent pride.


I always liked to think that it was (2) -- a struggle with the fallen nature. What else could not have been so obvious to be recorded in scripture and yet be so humiliating? And for Paul, I imagine he was sure happy to hope that his days of being the chief of sinners by persecuting God's church, were a thing of the past. He, who would declare the gospel to Gentiles, and yet still a miserable sinner? What kind of suffering is more devastating to those who love God, than the suffering of battling with sin?

I can imagine why Paul prayed for the thorn to be removed.... So that Paul might do more for God, to focus better on the truth instead of suffering with distraction, and so forth.

Paul got what he wanted. Just not by having it removed -- ironically -- by having it remain. Paul in fact did learn how to do more for God, and to focus more on the truth... he discovered how much God really is beautiful to know and devoted to blessing us, especially when we don't deserve it. God's good news is His grace.

I, too, am seeing now what God was doing for me.

The "gospel" page is back in proper array, now. The scotch tape looks good. It almost could pass as if nothing ever happened. But I know the time it took away from other activities to rearrange it. Once I got started it wasn't difficult. The pieces fell right into place, without a one missing.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)