"From now on this is my body, broken for you."
I took the centimeter-long bread wafer between my index finger and thumb. Usually I like to rub it for a few seconds and feel the dust melt into my skin while I remember what Jesus has paid for me. Then, as the pastor signals us to eat it, I always have hesitated to bring it to my mouth, for just a moment, feeling reluctant to acknowledge my part in crucifying him as He foresaw the need for that because of me.
But today was unlike every other sacrament, when as I began to absorb the dusty halo of the wafer in my fingertips, it fractured.
I stopped.
I didn't want to drop it or lose some of it. But, there it was, lying intact, just cloven down from one side to the other. I felt a pang in my heart and tears welled up in my eyes, having to actually see what I had always done in my mouth. And immediately I remembered the simple words:
"Broken for you, so that you would be whole."
Did you see my week LORD, I wondered? Had He noticed that I had plumbed further depths of iniquity even just last night?
Yes: He was vulnerable to brake so that now as I was here, broken, I might be delivered into innocence.
Out of thankfulness I made a pledge to do what I could this week to not ignore the gift of deliverance, to live in memory of the wholeness that had been imparted to me.
Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. He chose the lowly things of the world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before Him. (1 cor 1:26,28)
No comments:
Post a Comment