Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Notes from today's bible study

Does truth breed trust?

"In this world you will have trouble." We have expectations, but it's like a hand-shake with the air; God and I didn't really have an understanding that I wouldn't have these difficulties. Though I knew there was suffering, that's not the core of rebellion....

"But take heart, for I have overcome the world." Is He trustable?

Jesus is truth. Christ will never mislead. I wrote this down. Do I believe?

Only the truth sets us free. Denial though, is easier than extending trust.

A baptist teacher said "God is under-represented in the body of Christ. No teacher has it all together. We need not just truth but the whole truth, so that His children won't feel betrayed." Do I treat the collection of scriptures like I do K-Mart? I go through and select the ones I want. The next guy goes and selects something else. And then ensues misrepresentation and debate and, a lack of trust. We need the whole counsel. "Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." Many times God says things that sound gracious and many times truthful. Somehow Jesus combined the two features when he spoke to the Samaritan woman at the well. She ran to the people smiling, because her dignity had not been injured, though "He has told me everything I have ever done!"

I remember that quality of God when I first became a believer. I still want it. If I were close to Him again He could remove the toxins and poisons out of my love for the world around me.

Some say "God has nothing to do with anything we could ever interpret as negative or painful." Others say "God is always angry, never pleased, and usually out to get us." But He taught neither of these extremes.

"But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea" -- Is this the trouble we receive in this life? What if someone has been abused or poorly handled... and habits of sin develop for the one on the receiving end? Whose fault is it? My sin is mine to answer for. And, if God said to me, "Child, you are sinning in these ways and I want you to face this," it would hurt. I don't want to admit it because it's part of who I am, and part of that is not my fault. But I guess He'll deal with the other guys. It's scary to wonder how He must be dealing with me when I have led others to sin.

If I was spiritually injured, am I going to let it finish me?

David wrote: "Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O Lord, the God of truth." ps 31:5

It's so odd... that last night was when I noticed that I don't trust, and then, this morning it was the topic. It's so amazing that it happened like that, I thought I should document both events.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)