Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A new movie about Elisabeth Elliot

The author of "A Path Through Suffering," Elisabeth Elliot, is featured in a true story-movie coming out this Friday, the 20th. It's called "End of the Spear."

http://www.endofthespear.com/

It is based on the book she wrote back in the sixties called "Through Gates of Splendor," which told the story of how her newlywed husband and four other male missionaries in Ecuador were murdered by the very tribe they were evangelizing.

I have quoted much from her book about suffering, in the last several months here on my blog. She also wrote the book "Passion and Purity" which is a story of her devotion to Christ through courting with her to-be husband Jim Elliot. I first read it back in 2000. Tonight I opened it up and read some of my old underlines....

"Finally Dave invited Jim to come home to New Jersey with us for Christmas. We had some long, long talks after the family had gone to bed. The more Jim talked, the more I saw that he fitted the picture of what I hoped for in a husband. He loved to sing hymns, and he knew dozens by heart. He loved to read poetry, loved to read it aloud. He was a real man, strong, broadchested, unaffected, friendly, and I thought, very handsome. He loved God. That was the supreme dynamic of his life. Nothing else mattered much by comparison."

"Until the will and the affections are brought under the authority of Christ, we have not begun to understand, let alone to accept, His lordship. The cross, as it enters the love life, will reveal the heart's truth. My heart, I knew, would forever be a lonely hunter unless settled 'where true joys are to be found.'"

--"Passion and Purity," pp. 32-33, 39

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)