Thursday, January 08, 2009

A Public Statement on Heresy

Dr. Charlie Bing, former President of the Free Grace Alliance, writes and gives me permission today to publish the following regarding "heresy":

I do believe and would say that "heresy" is a relative term [used] so often, that is, everybody is a heretic to someone who does not agree with them. There certainly is "heresy," but it all boils down to what the Bible says anyway, so let's just discuss the Bible and leave out the charge of heresy, unless of course it is a very clear fundamental issue.


I would also like to quote a paraphrase of Dr. Bing's statements from an earlier post dated October 2008:

If freedom is really freedom, it makes enough room for deliverance from sin and deception for sure but also it will permit the exercise of error. Who wants to give freedom? Who wants to take freedom away? ... Our purpose is to advance the grace message around the world, not argue about it.


You may read the entire post from the portion above, here.

2 comments:

Steve Dehner said...

Michele,
This is outstanding. Thanks to Charlie for saying it, and thank you for posting it. I would have never taught a Sunday school class or written anything or begun a blog if I didn't have the freedom under grace to make a mistake. I have and I will stumble into error (hopefully not serious ones). This acknowledgement is accompanied by a confidence that the Spirit can and will correct me. But if I didn't speak until I possessed absolute certainty, I would be silent much of the time. Teachers should be few, and they need to be willing to live with the risk and stricter accountability this entails. But we need to always allow for others, who may differ with us, this same freedom and grace.

Sanctification said...

Steve,

Your comment represents my heart while getting to know so many free grace advocates here on the internet. I would like to write a couple blog posts in relation to this, but as of late I have been devoting my energies to JP's blog.

In his latest article I have made several comments, and in the preceding three or so posts made by JP, I have also been making occasional comments.

I appreciated your comment there in addition to the one you provided here -- it is encouraging to know that I am not the only one who thinks as I do. I am a people person, and I sometimes suffer with doubt when there is long-standing silence. That's just me.

Thanks so much,
Michele

P.S., I plan to return to your beneficial comment on Matt 18.... When I have a chance. Sorry about that. :D

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)