Sunday, November 25, 2007

A little bolder

For a few years I've had trouble speaking up in sunday school. Most of it stems from a belief that women should be as silent as possible at church, what's more they should never teach or have authority over men. But I'm just about ready to give that up. It seems I'm fighting a cultural monster that can never be defeated. You're not going to see me subbing in for Pastor Jeff (though he offered it to me and a small group of others from our class a couple times) anytime soon. I think, that for now I will stick to only sharing my opinions during class.

I did that two times today! :)

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.

We're working through the gospel of Matthew and landed on this principle out of chapter 5. Pastor Jeff asked the class "How do we preach letting our hearers stumble over the message, and not over us?" He answered a bit after some discussion and said, "Yeah, if we want people to believe that Jesus is real then we need to live lives that correspondingly act in line with the truth. And it is also important to make yourself an informed Christian; one that knows who Jesus is, instead of being out there spreading misinformation through lack of knowledge."

I raised my hand and said, "I agree that it is somewhat relevant to be a righeteous person in the way we live, and to have the right kind of Jesus that we teach or preach. But it is a lot more maybe about faith. It says that we are a fragrance, by the fact that we live in growing faith, to draw the ones who will believe. And our righteousness isn't our deeds anyway. It's faith that makes us righteous, it's faith that God is looking for. It's not so much that we are qualified by having a life that's squared away. It is more a faith by which we hope for righteousness even in the future tense, that makes us His children."

He just kind of said yeah. Hmm. I wonder if he really was listening? Doesn't he know his doctrine that we teach? It is faith which makes us righteous, even after salvation. It is faith which qualifies, it is faith which gives a clean conscience, it is faith which employs God's power. This is the evangelical hang-up I care most about exposing.

He later on asked, "How can we make the message palatable?" Within the ensuing discussion he said, "I've spoken with a number of cults and they quote this passage saying, 'Jesus foresaw that this would happen to me, that because you are telling me that I'm wrong, I am being persecuted for having the truth.' But I think they take this and misapply it. There's a difference between belittling someone and using scripture to point out Jesus or how they need to take their sin to the cross."

I raised my hand and said "You asked the question 'how can we make the message attractive,' and Paul said, 'to the Jews I became a Jew.' This may disagree somewhat with your point, but I am wondering if, for some of us, God is calling us not to preach the word but to let it go. Speaking for myself personally, I know that I love the scriptures more than I do getting along with others. But it shouldn't be that way. And when I surrender my right to preach or correct others, what is that really composed of? It looks irresponsible to some, but, really what I am doing is storing up all of the grace needed in their lives by faith in God, and I don't think that can go wrong. So, for the culture of our church, some of us may find it very helpful to lay these things down."

"Yes," Jeff said, "I don't think you're way off there, I think that the way we preach needs to be careful and thoughtful, and that's essentially what you said," he confirmed.

That went well. Now that my neo-evangelical mind has been fully screwed back into place, I'm able to share exactly what God has taught me these last few years. I've been writing about it so long, it just pours out of me second-nature. But to everyone else, I'm not sure how well it flies wih orthodox teaching or if there are some who have even heard it before.

There were a few heads that turned. I'm alright with that though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must stop the whole us and them, seriously. Like it or not, what you said in ss class was useful and on-topic but you always prefixed with "I disagree" or a similar dismissive. Just my $.02..

Sure Paul became a Jew to the Jews. Was Paul a Jew? Yep.

Was Paul familiar with Jewish customs and traditions? Yep.

Did Paul drop all Jewish customs and traditions when he became a follower? Doubt it.

Are the Jews somehow different with respect to scripture? Yep, they're God's chosen people.

Is it easy to mischaracterize scripture? It depends on what commentary you read :).

You may have missed it, but in summation Jeff mentioned one of your points as a talking point which means kudos in my book. Keep talking but I would quit the us vs. them.

Love you...

Ben

Sanctification said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sanctification said...

The reason why I affix it with a "disagreement" is because people our age have a problem where the culture keeps them from understanding how faith is what not only saves but more importantly sanctifies. It's a big deal. It makes our gospel hypocritical that we share outside with the world. This very teaching is a stumbling block to many, many people. I hear it as arrogance, or another way to describe it is works-righteousness. It needs to be corrected, especially when it comes to what is being taught at church.

Paul talked about more than just becoming like a Jew. He said he became "like all things to all men."

Yes, I didn't miss it, Jeff did acknowledge my point about it being a fragrance. Though what he said, if you remember it as I do, was only a reference to the actual passage. He then used it to add meaning to righteous living instead of total dependence on grace, which would have been the better thing to say, and, my point.

How far would Paul have gotten with the Athenians in acts 17 if, instead of preparing by touring the statues to their gods and learning their art of debate and reasoning, went in and did an equivalent form of the bible-bash? Bashing doesn't happen when your gospel is "faith alone" to become conformed to His image. In the canon of scripture, Paul confronted Peter in front of everyone because this matter is one of extreme importance.

How do you suggest I say it so that its importance is maximized? Do you agree that it needs to be corrected?

Anonymous said...

Let's discuss at home :). BTW, by using the gmail account, I now show up as you if I want to leave comments :(.

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)