Monday, November 28, 2005

"If it die, if it die, if it die."

"The words that were left indelibly in my mind were those of Jesus just before He went to the cross, quoted by Walker as the only plan which ensures success: 'Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die it bringeth forth much fruit' (jn 12:24). Each time I hear or read those words they come alive for me because Thomas Walker and Amy Carmichael both staked their lives on them, willing to be a corn of wheat, embrace what is contrary to human nature, and be -buried- in South India in order that others might find the true life. When, by my own faults and indifference, or the distractions of the world, I have drifted from this changeless principle (and imagined that I might -avoid- the deaths and somehow be fruitful) the words have rung again in the ears of my soul, -if it die, if it die, if it die-."

-Elliot, "A Path Through Suffering," pg 42

2 comments:

Jules said...

Good thoughts, thanks for the reminder. Feels like that must be part of the purpose of me being where I am.

Don't forget Mother Teresa and William Carey who also gave their lives for India!

Love and Miss You.

Sanctification said...

Thanks Homie G

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)