Friday, October 10, 2008

"Shuttle Diplomacy"

This is pretty amazing.

This morning I was having a brief conversation with my dad. I explained to him in a minute and a half, why I recently went on a trip to a conference.... He said to me, "That's shuttle diplomacy."

"Shuttle diplomacy?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied, "Henry Kissinger was the one who became famous for this technique. He would spend a certain amount of time with one side of a disagreement, listen to them and learn their language and issues and then he would go over to the other side, and stay with them for awhile, doing the same thing, translating the issues in fresh ways without contention."

What confirmation. I've been calling this thing "advocacy".... He has a different term for it. He had correspondence with Kissinger back in the 1970s during the cold war, when his distinguished career in international relations, much of which is top secret, was just getting started.

I'm absolutely clueless about a lot of things. I just want to add my prayers to whatever I get the sense the leadership of the FGA is already implementing. I have a sense by faith that this is a better thing to do then take unadvised action like I had been doing.

....

5 comments:

Aletheia said...

Good morning Michele

I am so comforted this morning by our Father. by your posts I see an internal struggle...and He met you in a beautiful way with your earthly father.

I have struggled this week and He has met me in my situations as He always is faithful to do.

The sun is shining, the driveways are paved with gold and the air is so crisp I cannot help but breath deeply and rejoice.

When I read your pit in the stomach post...I was reminded of so many pits I have had as I struggle to communicate and hopefully restore in the situation I am in. For many weeks I would think that the pit was because I had said the wrong thing or too much....but again He is faithful and showed me that it was not all about me and what I did or did not say.

the pit came from the recognition that the conversations were deeply important and are His work through myself and others. the pit came from the awareness that we were not liked for what we spoke...that the response would almost always be an attack and accusations. that is a hard thing to live with....it can definitely create a pit in the stomach.

Proverbs 8 and 9 shows us a wise woman and a foolish woman. I like the fact that it is wisdom that speaks the most in these two chapters...and what beautiful words she speaks. the foolish woman says little.

m, you have been passionately pursuing what God has set before you. you desire hugely to proclaim "FREE", "FREE" and I appreciate that so very much.

it is free michele....oh it is free and it is all of grace.

because we hold this so deeply, it is no wonder that we want to stand upon the high places and call out "Come, Come...it has all been prepared....come..come beloved....it is FREE"

Praying that we will both see Him in every moment today

A

Sanctification said...

Aletheia,

I think you're an angel.

Some people have said many times about women writers that they're too wordy. This makes no sense to me. :P I think the longer you speak to me, the more healing I experience. Keep blessing me with your comments.

You spoke kindness to me at a time when I really, really needed it, and I needed encouragement as I re-evaluate my priorities and actions.

Thank you. You are dear to me and I would be much worse without you.

Are you going to start a blog soon? If you ever do, I'll be your biggest fan!

Love, Michele

P.S. Thank you for directing my attention to Prov 8:

"Doth not wisdom cry?"

Aletheia said...

Michele,

Thank you for always being generous with your acceptance of my friendship.

Thank you for calling me an angel...

as for starting a blog...I have had one for some time :) I hang out there mostly on my own.

I would be honored if you would come for a visit. perhaps we could have a cup of coffee and a chat?

Just click the link above.

Looking forward to your visit :)

A

Sanctification said...

OHH!

How... what how did I miss this?

Hmm.

Aletheia said...

m, you did not miss it :), i finally figured out how to sign in correctly so that I am linked to my blog.

I am having so much fun learning how to use features and journaling on my blogs :)

thank you for visiting

A

ps. please visit my devotion blog in the next day or so...i have been thinking about many aspects of the "conversation" and I hope to write them out

the sun is shining here...I hope it is shining for you as well

He is our Daybreak

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)