Thursday, August 07, 2008

Renewed dialogue

It is amazing how much smaller a world it seems to be as the internet becomes more and more interactive. I need to confess something important.

The last couple months have generated in me a good deal of zealotry against old-school evangelism/calvinism's worldview. Whatever that is, and wherever that comes from, that has infiltrated not only the Lordship Salvation camp but nearly the whole of evangelical Christianity -- anywhere where the Augustinian, and therefore Lutheran and Calvinist concepts, have been incorporated into the theological grid.

To me it feels great to be free of that. But this post is not about me, except to say that in all the heat and bitterness I have exhibited, I am sure I made one very important person feel about two inches tall. Her online name is "Echo." I love her and appreciate her so much. She's Evangelical Lutheran, and when it comes to evangelism, she's old-school. Or at least that's how she's been with the LDS up to this point, though beginning in 2006. She doesn't deserve to be made to feel less important, or left out. I believe in her. I believe that God is working in her and through her. I believe she has a heart of gold toward the LDS.



In the categorizations I have made, I have a feeling I might have alienated her.

In a post titled My Testimony this is what I wrote of her:

Online, I have been evangelizing the LDS at a religious forum. I've been there loving on them for five and a half years. In year three, an Evangelical-Lutheran came in to evangelize them too. She loved the Word of God but made mistakes in how she treated them, and how she presented the truth. She called herself someone who believed that grace is free -- but she didn't act or preach in a manner obedient to that belief. For instance, she believed in baptism for salvation. I had to make a choice: was she right that the gospel was more than just faith, or was salvation that simple? I felt peer pressure, thankful to have another evangelical to witness to this great bunch at the LDS forum. Through a year of wrestling with my thoughts over watching her methodology and message, and what I knew I already believed should be the message and methodology from scripture, I took a stand in front of the LDS, against her message, defending the simple truth: faith in Jesus is what saves. She accused me of being softened by the LDS toward heresy. That's okay. We're still in contact. I emailed her a fifteen page document of scripture I wrote showing her how simple faith really is. For a time it excited her, then she decided it was not true once more.


If she is anything like my calvinist husband, I can imagine her saying in response, "That isn't fair, because I believe that the truth is simple, too; faith in Jesus is what saves." But I want to make room to hear exactly what she thinks.

I re-read what I've written and I think it is fair and true. I still think the same. But when it comes to relationships it matters a whole lot less what I intend to say and a whole lot more, how I am received.

It is time for me to express regret for the pain I might be causing -- even if it was not at any time intended, it does not change the real feelings she may be experiencing. I want to know how I have been received into her hearing. Just today she has returned after being absent for several months, to My LDS Stuff. We have not yet spoken since I've "become free grace." Hopefully she will respond and share a bit in the thread labeled A Thought at that forum, though she is invited to discuss it here instead if she wishes.

God bless you sister!

4 comments:

Echo said...

Hi Sanc!

I have accepted your invitation to discuss. Missed you too! :-)

Just to let you know, you haven’t alienated me at all. You make me feel 10 feet tall and proud to know you and call you friend when you love me enough to tell me you think my beliefs are wrong and therefore I am wrong. That’s what true friends do! I couldn't ask for a better friend than that.

Quote Sanc: "She loved the Word of God but made mistakes in how she treated them, and how she presented the truth. She called herself someone who believed that grace is free -- but she didn't act or preach in a manner obedient to that belief. For instance, she believed in baptism for salvation. I had to make a choice: was she right that the gospel was more than just faith, or was salvation that simple?"

I do wonder how you think that I didn't act or preach in a manner obedient to the free grace that I believe in?

Just for clarification, I never said that the gospel was more than just faith, could you clarify what you mean?

Quote: "She accused me of being softened by the LDS toward heresy."

I think we misunderstand each other now and then. Most people do at some point or another. I don't believe the LDS softened you. You alone have to take responsibility for your approach and I alone have to take responsibility for mine. The LDS is not responsible for either of our approaches; they are entirely innocent in the matter.

But yes, I do believe your approach falls short also. I do believe that you compromise truth in your approach and flatter them.(unintentionally of course)

Does that mean I am right and you are wrong? Not necessarily so. I could be very wrong. It remains therefore that God's word will guide "you" and/or "I” as we learn more and more from each other and teach one another through the word of truth.

Looking forward to the discussion!

God Bless you!

Sanctification said...

Echo,

I am so thankful for you. You are a blessing to me! I am so glad for the grace which you exhibit toward me, because I am looking to receive your forgiveness.

I'm reading all of your responses above and I too believe they all fall under the category of misunderstandings, or just differences in perspective. You said:

"I think we misunderstand each other now and then."

You are right and within the obvious acceptance you have extended to me and I to you, everything else will get worked through as time gives us. I am hungry for dialogue. Thank you for overlooking my bitterness -- I want to grow in understanding and in grace.

Michele

Echo said...

There is nothing you have done that is in need of forgiving that I know of. A faithful Christian will lovingly want to point out the faults and false beliefs of others out of love and concern for them and for their growth and that is all you have done. You need not apologize for that. But you might want to help me understand your bitterness. I hate to see you bitter but maybe I deserve it, who knows! Speak away!
Help me understand it.

God Bless you!

Sanctification said...

Echo, blessings to you, for you have no direct hand in it. I was experiencing isolation theologically speaking. I was looking high and low for someone to show me they could read the Word of God like I do. I invite you to read this brief, easy to read expression of what I have left behind (Lordship theology) and what I knew was alternatively true for some time before I found it (free grace theology):

http://www.faithalone.org/sermons/freegrace.htm

Calvinism is the heart of the problem in the theological crises I've experienced. It is responsible for:

-- The oppression of non-Christian faiths and in American politics by fundamentalists who believe that what is in the bible ought to be accepted by all in the public realm (heading toward theocracy).

-- That my holiness is out of my hands because of the fatalist and determinist doctrines of "double predestination" and the "second gift of perseverance."

-- That I have the right to oppress others and malign the grace of God in other people by judging their profession of Christ by what they do and do not do, God forbid!

-- That there is an ironic hypocrisy that Christians hold to faith alone but then look to a variety of works based on denominational distinctives. Blindness that could not be overcome in simple conversations!

-- Another ironic hypocrisy that everyone everywhere must believe everything evangelical Christians read out of the bible else they are not saved or else not walking with God.

-- As one person wrote to Dr. Radmacher and he repeated in class one time, "If we are predestined by God to salvation, then I have lost zeal for declaring the gospel.... They stole the gospel from me!" I too surrendered in defeat to the greatest commission of sharing Jesus.

-- I lost the ability to pray because I lost faith that it served much of a purpose -- the consequence of the fatalism and determinism behind Augustine's inheritance he has passed on to all Catholicism and Protestantism.

-- In my own personal life neither my husband or my sunday school teacher (who is lordship) or those who lead my bible studies be able to help me understand what was wrong, and I was personally suffering in my own circumstances and really needed God at that time.

Echo, those are the unfortunate circumstances I suffered with. But by the amazing kindness of God, I don't suffer in these ways, anymore! And I need to forgive where these things are still being promoted and I am in contact with them.

Thanks for asking, Michele

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)