Monday, August 25, 2008

On the AWANA model

Disclaimer: The following link is the intellectual property of the ACI. The clip art image provided in the following link is for use only by churches registered and licensed to conduct ministry programs designed by Awana Clubs International (Registered Churches). Awana® and the Awana logo are registered trademarks and service marks of Awana Clubs International.

AWANA's Gospel Wheel

As the commander of the AWANA program at my church explained to me this last week, the gospel wheel is a tool used in AWANA to help adults lead children toward salvation.

There are two axes across the circle. The vertical axis passes through the "God" and "Man" polarities, and the horizontal passes through the "Cross" and "Trust" polarities.

If I understand it correctly and can paraphrase this right, a child might approach the wheel at any of those four points. The goal is to move them toward the center of the circle. I asked if this meant that, in the case that one of these four quadrants were not sufficient to bring a child to salvation, then the other three should be applied to help them arrive at 1 Cor. 15? And the answer was yes.

I think this is quite fascinating, and very helpful to a discussion on what it takes to be saved. As someone most recently shared with me, a pastor's son was using scripture to lead people to Christ, for years before that son was actually saved himself. Another words, this young man had all the scriptures... yet it wasn't enough, until the moment of faith began in his heart.

So in my thinking this model is an excellent way to begin, especially in foreign countries or with the simple-minded and unexposed (I'm thinking about children now), a successful exposure to the choice for salvation. However it may not be enough in every single case -- more scriptures for some people might be necessary than just these.

Since I've seen this I haven't been able to get it out of my head. I think it is brilliant!

Did I explain this accurately? I hope so.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)