Friday, January 26, 2007

Okay let's talk about it

Last spring I conceived a blog entry on this matter but decided against it for the self-centered feel of it. However, my inner narrator kept a good record for me....

My sister invited me to join her for a 'fun-filled three hour trip' to the bowling alley. She's in a league. This was after a previous trip where some nineteen year old was... flirting with me? I don't know. Ask Monica what was going on there. I thought I'd never go back. I took note of the chance for free babysitting, so, I went again, after finding out that there wasn't going to be the same guy there.

Every time I made a trip from that one area where people bowl to concessions I passed a place where there were billiards, and there were several Mexican-American men playing and they had big smiles on their faces. It's like I was their long lost friend by their body language. I'm not interested in the attention so I just kinda looked... at the wall and stuff. Every time I passed, even with my sister next to me, Monica says they were looking at me and not her. With huge smiles.

This a cultural thing, correct? I know that they are more outgoing with their appraisals, as a generalization. Someone once infomed me about it when they saw me in my confusion. This latest experience added to a pattern Monica and others and I have observed, where, when I am with my caucasian friends, there are Mexican men directing a whole bunch of obvious attention to me. I remember the landscaper guy when I was 14 (we rented), staring in the windows at me EVERY SINGLE WEEK. I hated him, he gave me the creeps. I remember Sears was under reconstruction and I was wearing a blouse and slacks and there they were on the two-story roof, making a lot of commotion. I thought someone was in danger. It took me a couple minutes after having looking around and walking inside to think that it was about me. Huh? Theory verified when I exited.

What's the big deal? Do I LOOK Mexican? ?? ?? I can't explain it otherwise, but I don't think I do!



I mean, come on. Well, that might be... umm, is that maybe a Latina hairstyle? Alright (sigh), hair down.



Yeah -- I know. Where is this coming from? Don't you think so? I don't get it. After I gave birth the first time I became hypothyroid, and so since then I have this brown coloring around the lids of my eyes that looks like I put on eye shadow. It's always there. Kinda handy. But does it make some difference?









Unlikely; I started out fair.










Yeah; but... okay, I lived in Utah and I get really dark quick in the sun.

This one below just makes me look ethnic, maybe; even without a tan.



But in the same time frame you can see in the next photo that my skin appears more rosy and pale than this one here.


So, what am I? Well I've got a grandma who is wholly German, and the other three grandparents are at least 25% German, so that makes me about 70% German with the remainder being English, Dutch and I think Scottish, in that order. Hmm; so, if I'm mostly German, does that mean, I'm mostly stubborn and dominating? (tee hee)

Ever since I got uncomfortable that last time, whenever I feel a Latino male eye possibly upon me, I close my eyes and hear my first-person narrator speak on my behalf "Gggeeeerrrrrrrrrmmmaaaaannnnnn. See that square jaw? Hmm? Say it with me; Gerrmannn...."

This hasn't been very politically correct and I'm sorry for the attitude at their expense, because that's not very Christian. On the other hand I'm just trying to say how I feel about it as a woman.

Here is a poor pic of me and a German exchange student friend when I was 21.... I notice that she has the square jaw, the high cheek bones, the prominent chin. We must be long lost sisters. I'll have to tell her next time I see her. Ha ha.



There... discussed.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)