Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Who was Jesus when I was saved?

I've had an epiphany how to describe what Jesus seemed to me, when I was saved.

(I remember it like it was yesterday... after all, in the thirteen years I've been a believer only in the last six (the minority) have I worshiped in delight that Jesus is YHWH.)

He was a prophet:

(Answers.com)

n.
1. A person who speaks by divine inspiration or as the interpreter through whom the will of a god is expressed.
2. A person gifted with profound moral insight and exceptional powers of expression.
3. A predictor; a soothsayer.
4. The chief spokesperson of a movement or cause.


I was convinced that He knew God and had spoken on His behalf. There was an authority there that was obvious. And that is what I submitted to, in my prayer of salvation.

"Son of the living God," "Messiah," "Lamb of God," and even the resurrection... these were ideas that didn't have any place in my exposure or understanding.



Maybe there was an extra fuss over Him I understood. As if He were the super-version of the predecessors? If you had asked me what I thought, I would have said, "He was special." And I was convinced into revering that quality despite being very uncomfortable confessing it.

I think it would have been impossible for me to understand, watching that movie (the content of NT gospels), that Jesus could have been fully God. I mean, that He was something more than just another man, was clear; but, He was no question, a man. He suffered the same limitations as we do. The only times He seemed to be able to overcome human limitation was to give punch to his teachings about the Father, or on occasion how he was tied to the Father.

Even today, it still is a mindbender to contemplate Emmanuel; God, with us.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)