Friday, May 29, 2009

a letter by grandma

This is a letter my grandma sent to my mom and dad sixteen years ago. I remember I was fifteen and my dad was worried my grandma was being naive. Turns out it all was exactly as she wrote in this letter. It is her true story of rejoined love. Bill and Grandma spent the next ten plus years together, and he was my surrogate grandpa. Bill passed away as a believer about three years ago, and grandma was ushered into the presence of Jesus this morning at 4 am.


June 5, 1993


Hi Rick and Clare,

I have a wonderful idea for a book you could write on a lovely romantic love story. It could even be sold for a movie as it is unique and touches your heart.

During World War II an English ship was being built for the British Navy. While waiting for this ship to be built, two sailors of the crew had their first shore leave in this American port. They went to a club called "The White Ensign" to spend a few hours in dancing and relaxation. While there, they met with two girls who danced with them and invited them home to have dinner with their families the next day. One of the sailors (who was 26) played a guitar and sang with the girl at her home. They were attracted to each other and this relationship carried on for several months.


When the ship was ready to depart, there was a farewell dance held aboard ship. They had to say their last goodbye and the ship sailed away to join the British Navy in the Battle of the Atlantic against the German U-Boats. These two young people knew their worlds were far apart and they must part even though they cared for each other. The girl married a U.S. soldier when the war was almost over. The British sailor married the girl back home. They both raised families but always remembered their youth and the time they spent together during war time.


Fifty years went by, the American girl's husband died leaving her disconsolate and unhappy. About the same time the British sailor's wife also died and to overcome his grief he decided to travel. His thoughts turned to the U.S. where he thought he might try to trace the whereabouts of the girl he met once, in the hope she was still alive and he would be able to find her. In fact due to his efforts he discovered she was living. He contacted an organization who contacted her and a meeting was arranged and they met once more.


The happy ending to this story is that they realize their love is still alive and they want to be close to each other. Through it's their senior years, they felt young, happy and content - no longer lonely and sad. Strangely their love of music, art and other hobbies made their bond stronger. They planned to travel to meet their respective relatives. A trip back to his home in England for a few months was included. She had always longed to see England - why not make it now?

All their friends and relatives think this is a lovely story. Being alone in senior years is so sad.

Can you believe this American girl is your mother, Rick? I really do think this should be a book or a movie. Fifty years is a long time to endure and this makes it special. There can be more than one love in a lifetime and life is for the living.

I hope you don't mind my way to tell you. I felt it would be a shock any way I tell you.

I'll be 74 this year. Bill will be 74 soon - we feel our remaining years should be fulfilling. We've met Evelyn (my sister-in-law), Mary, and most of all my relatives on my side (who approve). We will soon leave for England for a visit and meet all of Bill's relatives. Can you call or write as my ticket is purchased (and his) and dated June 21st out of New Jersey after visits at his step-son's in the U.S. along the way. We must get Bill's English cottage ready to rent as he will come back with me to be near. I'll be gone from this home until October 4th when I'll return to New Jersey and drive back here. Plans are to visit more of his step-son's and daughters in Memphis, Tenn., see the sights there, as well as in England.

Bill says you are gifted in writing, he helped me proofread your book you wrote.

Love, Mom & Bill


Most of the details about my grandma were left out in her own letter because she was attempting to tell "a story" to my dad, hopefully not too obviously about herself. There are some details about her that should be mentioned. She was one of the "Rosie Riveters," women who were hired in wartime to help the effort. She worked on building "Liberty Ships" and aircraft carriers.


President Franklin D Roosevelt told the country that these ships would bring liberty to Europe because of their speed, outrunning the German submarine U-boats.


They also built aircraft carriers at the Oregon Shipbuilding Company, located on Swan Island at the confluence of the Willamette River to the Columbia. They built ships faster here in Oregon than any other of the nine national emergency shipbuilding sites. My grandma worked on building these ships on Swan Island through her early twenties.


Bill still played the guitar all these years later, and he was quite delightful to listen to. He encouraged my grandma to learn the piano again. They formed a band called "The Swinging Daddies" and went around for years performing at senior centers. Bill was a gift to my grandma and all of us. He helped bring Jesus Christ into my grandma's life. I have some photos of grandma and Bill that I will upload, and I plan to work on this post through time and make it better.

5 comments:

goe said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother Michele.
This is such a beautiful letter she wrote that it has me crying. She's right, someone should make this a movie.

I sent you a message on FB this morning about your grandma. Jesus comforts us in our affliction and that's for real. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the story.

Gary

Sanctification said...

Gary, Thank you. Jesus is merciful today.

:D

Missy said...

Dear sister, I am truly sorry for your loss. This letter is a great treasure, thank you for sharing it.

Sanctification said...

Hi Missy, thank you...

:D

DUANE WATTS said...

Hi Michele!

I was just checking out your Grandmother's letter about Her and Bill. Truly a beautiful story. No question God created humanity, and specifically HIS children to reflect the love they've been given. I'd like to e-mail my Dad and his second Love, to share this story with them.

"Thank You, For Giving to the LORD"

Your Brother
Duane

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)