Monday, December 29, 2008

The Hearer's Destruction?

I must make a note that according to the scripture that says, "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man" 1 Tim. 2:12, I do not assume authority with the Word of God, nor do I wish to be known as a teacher, but, I do want to bring out things I have found in the Word, and draw attention to them for others to discuss with me.

I wish to look a little more closely at the greek word: "hearers"

1) to be endowed with the faculty of hearing, not deaf
2) to hear
b) to attend to, consider what is or has been said
c) to understand, perceive the sense of what is said
3) to hear something
a) to perceive by the ear what is announced in one's presence
b) to get by hearing learn
c) a thing comes to one's ears, to find out, learn
d) to give ear to a teaching or a teacher
e) to comprehend, to understand


What happens to the hearer if the "words" become "strivings"?

There is:
--"no profit"
--an "overthrow of a spirit of consecration"
--an "extinction" of sanctification

If one who "hears" is "destroyed," can there be any "hearing"? There will be no more "attending," no "considering," no "perception," no "finding out," no "learning," no "comprehension."

The guilt for "not hearing" lies with either the hearers, or the teachers. So often we point to the hearers as the ones who are disobedient, but, I believe that 2 Timothy makes a case that the failure for accepting the message can fall upon the disobedience of the teachers.

Let me share with you a personal experience.

Four years ago I had been babysitting on a regular basis, a 5-year old boy whose mother has been my friend since we were both 12 years old. She had never really ever responded to the gospel as I had shared it with her, and since I cared deeply about reading bible stories and sharing prayer with children who came into my home, I began fielding her overall opinion of me doing likewise with her own son while in my home. She gave me mixed signals. She appreciated the moral messages of veggietales. Though she expressly made it evident that at least her husband did not think it was a good idea for his son to be told that there is a God, until he was an adult and able to handle the scary stories of "wrath" and "hell" properly.

Meanwhile I had been building in my own prayer life, a zeal for the opportunity to share Christ with this little boy, who was even asking me questions about God on occasion. What did I do? Well, the next time this boy asked me about a creator, I told him what I tell all little children: "He made everything, and He lives up there, behind the clouds, behind the sun, behind the moon. You can't see Him, but He's there, always watching us, and always loving us. We can talk to Him whenever we want because of the cross." At least, that's how I introduce the gospel to children.

Later that evening my best friend, his mother, called me and told me that her son was distraught, and calling his mother a liar, for denying to admit that there really is a God.

...

My best friend was furious. She did not talk to me again, for... several months. I remember sharing my pain over this with a few prayer partners at church, and they applauded me in their consolations. They said, "We are amazed that He has called you to lose a friend just so that this little boy might know the truth!"

At first, I thought they were right, I thought I had done well. But then I realized this: It shouldn't have to take a wrong action to make a right result. There is no such thing. I betrayed someone's trust. Not just anyone, but my long-life friend! How could I taint the name of Christ by violating our friendship?

What had I overlooked? I can tell you now, and I told her months later.

I overlooked the fact that the authorities who have been established, have been established by God. God did not give this little boy to me, to care for, but to her and her husband. The LORD must know what He is doing by granting... atheists, to raise children according to their beliefs. The LORD gives children every day, to atheists, agnostics, Hindus, Muslims, and many, many others. I overlooked the fact that the LORD still answers prayer. He does not need to bring this child to faith, today. He doesn't have to use me. Perhaps God's plans for this boy's life include a salvation that is introduced later on, to much joy and by deep conversion with gratitude.

In the meantime, I just knew that her values, were violated. Sure, she may not have specifically stated "Don't do that," but I should have known her overall heart and, if I had been looking to know what she really felt, I think it would have been obvious.

I call her values, the values of others who seem to be less than conformed to scripture, as "culture." I ought to move within my friend's culture, in a non-violating fashion, to secure a good name for the gospel of Christ. I ought to live out my Christianity, knowing that God can save and that He hears my prayers.

Hebrews 11: 1; Hebrews 11:6:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

And without faith it is impossible to please God....


I once said that I used to have a lot in common with fundamentalists. Fundamentalism says, "scripture gives every right in every occasion, to tell others of their waywardness." Do you believe this? I no longer do.

Several months later, my friend and I recovered over my violation enough that she actually let me watch him again. I have spent many years since, however, listening to the perception of my beliefs as I myself have corrupted them. They find God to be disgusting, and they place my glorious gospel of a free gift by faith alone, in the same bunch with Catholicism and every other works- and service- based pseudo-christian proclamation. It appears to them as nothing greater than oppression: of the mind, of the heart. Because the selfishness, the self-righteousness, the hypocrisy of my own actions have been made clear. I told her not in words, but in actions: my thoughts are more important than yours, my feelings and priorities are more important than yours.

Luke 22:24-27

Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. Jesus said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves."


Matt 11:28-30

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."


I am not eager to make a public tale of this but, for His glory I would, for He alone is just and true.

3 comments:

Missy said...

Michele, thanks for this beautiful and vulnerable post. I've learned this lesson myself and pray every day that the destruction I've caused will be reversed.

Truly, He alone is just and true.

Sanctification said...

Missy,

Let's pray for one another that we be humble, lowly, and harmless, just like Jesus.

Thank you for your assurances....
Michele

Sanctification said...

Readers,

I recently listened to a sermon, here, on IFB doctrine of biblical separation in regard to 2 timothy 2, which is the passage I have been studying.

I am no teacher, and just beginning to be a student, but, if you would notice, my interpretation is roughly congruent with Dr. Larry Moyer's, in his FGA national conference presentation.

-Michele

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)