Monday, July 14, 2008

Mission Statement

One of my best friends Julie is going through an amazingly rich time of self-investment. In a class for believers, she has been asked to think upon her life history and the themes threading through it. What a fascinating little project! It got me to thinking of the major themes of my life. I have a "life-verse;" it is above as the banner across this blog site.

Below is a rough draft. I remember writing about the symbolism of the "fence" back in 2005 somewhere in a blog post... I'll have to look around for it later when I have more time.

I was a nobody, when Christ saved me. I had nothing going for me that was noteworthy. But Christ gave me hope, and gave me a rich inheritance. Now, I live in a home literally behind a white picket fence. I could prop my feet up. But I cannot forget where I came from. Not everybody lives behind a white picket fence like me. So I do what I can to stand alongside the unlovlies, the unlikelies, the down and out, and when I do I see that both I and them are magnifying our hope in the grace of God. I spend my inheritance in Christ, my reputation, my voice, my money, my time, to lift up the ones that have been left behind in the dust. I'm not afraid of the loss, because I see who I once was and who they once will be because of Jesus Christ, just like I am now. I am attracted to them, and to the surprise of some I can see how God is blessing them. And they also bless me! I love the scriptures, I believe in them and they burn like a fire deep within me, because they are our only source of righteousness: His grace. The more heavily grace becomes the only thing to hope in, the greater the glory He receives. I love to be in that place. Jesus Christ came to dwell in comfort with those who didn't deserve to be dwelled alongside in comfort. He calls us to be like Him, a living theophany of the invisible, immortal, all wise and HOLY God.


I encourage others to try this out too!

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)