Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Calling

This week I have been taking several online spiritual gift tests. I want to know more about what it is that I can do and what it is that I cannot.

At ChristiaNet these were my results, mid-week:

[Score, Spiritual Gifts, Scripture Reference]

100% Wisdom James 3:13-17
100% Teacher Hebrews 5:12-14
100% Prophet 1 Corinthians 14:3

I did it again today and came up with:

100% Teacher Hebrews 5:12-14
100% Mercy Luke 10:30-37
100% Evangelist Acts 8:26-40

Here are the definitions for these gifts:

Teacher: This gift enables particular Christians to communicate the truths of God's Word in a manner that others can learn and apply those truths to their own life.

Wisdom: This gift endows particular Christians with an understanding of God's will and work as it relates to the living of life. This allows them to be used in providing divine direction for themselves and others.

Prophet: This gift empowers certain Christians to interpret and apply God's revelation in a given situation.

Mercy: This gift enables certain Christians to feel exceptional empathy and compassion for those who are suffering so that they devote large amounts of time and energy to alleviate that suffering.

Evangelist: This gift enables particular Christians to share the Gospel to unbelievers in such a way that the unbeliever becomes a disciple of the Lord Jesus.

What is defined as "Teacher" and what is defined as "Prophet" are nearly identical, at first look. Though from what I understand, the gift of prophecy is to offer the right principles to the right person at the right time. And teaching is the ability to work with others toward greater understanding of right principles.

I'm not sure how much of a teacher I really am. Maybe I keep scoring high on that because I am overwhelmingly conscious that prophets don't often help others grasp what's being said, and oftentimes are a pain in everyone's side? But, if I am burdened for it, it must be something essential to who I am and what I do. I don't really know how to take these tests.

Here's what I'd like to ask: Can gifts be under-utilized? What if I don't like my gift of prophecy? I'm so tired of hurting others. I really want to be more normal, less aware. Perhaps for the last several years I have instead been throwing all my effort into exercizing mercy, to counterbalance. I think this has made me more happy as a Christian. The results showed that I scored almost as high in Faith, Intercession, Service, Writing, and Hospitality in that order.

I do know this: teachers don't always have to be speaking. There is a way to teach that is less direct or even, silent. And what's more, what I want to impart to others has definitely changed through time. Perhaps that's what a teacher is: mercy and prophecy working in tandem.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)