Thursday, August 04, 2005

Family vacation bible school

Ben (my husband) signed us up for VBS, for the whole family, last week. I've never done anything like this before. It was three nights, from Tues-Thurs, and I wasn't excited about it. No, I wasn't feeling very good each night, and didn't have the strength to waste on fluffy stuff.

However tonight at the end I had a highlighted moment. When we walked in Steve said, "Hey Ben, can you play Jesus? Our Jesus dropped out at the last moment." He said sure. I said to him, "Oh, you'd be so good! I always said you looked like Jesus, didn't I?" Back when we were dating, I told Ben that he had the face of Jesus. Ben said, "What? Nobody knows what He looks like." And I said, "But your face is just how I imagine him looking like." It was one of the things, back then, which I thought was 'a sign' that I was meant to marry him. Silly. Anyway.

At the end of the session during the wrap-up time in strode Jesus to the podium, and Ben discharged Jesus' words of love very well. Then he stood to the side as the speaker continued to talk. The speaker invited everyone afterwards to meet Jesus or talk to the pastors of our church.

As the speaker was finishing up, Liz, our 1+3/4 yr. old girl got up out of my lap and started running. She saw daddy. Ben saw her as she ran to him and he picked her up and the whole room went "Aww." Wow. That is when I was touched. "Do not forbid the children to touch me." And I haven't spoken with Ben yet if it was his own initiative or someone else's, for the idea of afterwards walking around the room, greeting the people. But the way Ben did it was so loving. He took delight in the children most of all, and reached out to them even, all the while holding Liz. Wow. Perfect.

I care so much about body language saying things more powerful than words ever could. And I care so much about children knowing that they are loved. So for me, this was quite awesome, and I will have to tell Ben tomorrow how inspired I was by what he did.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)