Wednesday, April 06, 2005

give yourself a day (or two)

I suggest for a whole day of movie-watching entertainment, watching the A&E production in 1996 of Pride and Prejudice, starring Colin Firth, and then watching Bridget Jones and Bridget Jones: the Edge of Reason. A total of over 5 hours for the first and 3 for the last two. Definitely a day of a marathon. Because I have kids I had to split it up over a couple of days and even then I was pushing it because there is no way I'd ever get that kind of time anyway. To be honest, I really had to fast-forward through all of the non-relevant non-romantic portions of all movies in order to make it to bed on time.

The reason why they chose Colin Firth to play opposite Renee Zellweger is because Bridget Jones is a modern-day rewrite of the Austen novel "Pride and Prejudice," the most famous novel ever written. Firth played the exact same character in both movies! He is Mr. Mark Darcy.

Imagine it: the actor who plays the love interest, coming back, to make the movie all over again in a fresh scenario. In the 1996 movie, based off of 19th century England, we get to see them reconcile their feelings and admit they love each other in the last 4 minutes of the movie. Let me relate that to you in a mathmatical equivalent to increase comprehension: resolution and joy of fellowship in love happens for a total of 0.01333333% of viewing time. It's like the perfect cliffhanger to the work of the movies that ensued after entering the 21st century. Guess how much time we get to see the couple finally come together in the Bridget Jones movies? That's right, a ratio of 1:2, or 50%! The whole second movie's thematical significance is stated within the first, first-person overvoice of Bridget's thoughts, of the whole movie: "what happens after the 'happliy ever after?'" And, yes, ladies and gentlemen, we do indeed get to see them living their lives out together a little bit. Now I don't have a thing for Colin Firth. But I sure do have a thing for their romance. It is quite lucky of Bridget, and as she has learned at the end of the second movie as I am currently learning in my own life: "Next time I will not bleep it up." She has realized she has made a huge mistake by worrying about the fact that Mark Darcy folds his underwear.

Ahh; I love marathons.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)