Saturday, February 23, 2008

No longer alone?

In the last two weeks I'd been attending a class on Romans and Galatians here in Salem, at a theological seminary that was just founded in the 07-08 school year. I took the class because, as you may know about me if you have known me for long, I have never known a church, religious organization or creed that expressed how I read the scriptures.

At the last day of class, Dr. Radmacher turned my way expecting me to speak. Note, now, that I was in a room with 15 others, mostly pastors of local churches, and if it weren't for the wife and children of my own church's pastor attending as well, I would be the only woman and the youngest in the room. I didn't know my pastor was going to be in the class. I know I definitely got a lot of interested looks because no one else knew me, perhaps also because I furiously scribbled notes on pink-hued legal pads. ;)

"Dr. R." is in his 70s and gave an impassioned speech on the importance of taking the gospel we just studied and sounding it in the world we live in. In the last hour and just prior to the closing prayer he said, "Before we go I have been watching my friend down here at the end of this table, dutifully taking notes, as if she is going to take this material and do something with it."

"I do definitely plan on using it, yes," I said. "After taking this class... I guess I could say that I am someone who believes in Free Grace."

The room laughed. I smiled.

"You fit with me and I fit with you. I have been discussing truth in various Christian groups for over five years, and with several I have a repoire; among them are an Evangelical Lutheran, Jehovah's Witnesses, LDS and Church of Christ. This concept of salvation is what I have roughly been trying to share during that time; though, I see I have a few serious holes of misunderstanding now, that this class is helping to correct, and I am grateful."

"Are you a former Catholic?" he asked.

"No; well..." I paused a little embarrassed, realizing I don't have any sect from which I hail. "I was saved when I watched the movie Jesus of Nazareth, but, I didn't understand that I was a Christian until three years later. Then a few years later I was told I wasn't saved. That caused me to read my bible exclusively for two years. When I came out the other side, it was hard to find anyone who saw things in this way. After a few more years, a few christians with whom I exchange ideas are beginning to see scripture along these lines, so, that's an improvement."

He then recommended a woman whom I would greatly benefit in knowing and the conversation moved.

Is this the end of the loner Sanctification? I'm not done making up my mind. I am investigating the ministry connections and history of the doctrines and teachers to discover the evangelistic applications of these things.

I not yet satisfied understanding the theology of this seminary but I will share a few highlights:

--They are "no-point Calvinists"
--They have potential to think revolutionarily of groups such as the LDS and others
--They absolutely throw out gospel techniques such as those of Ray Comfort
--They treat the scriptures clearly with the least gymnastics I've seen

Exciting?

1 comment:

David Wyatt said...

VERY exciting, Michele! God Bless!

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)