Friday, March 30, 2007

What a good baby

I was not prepared for how good a baby boy little Elijah is. He is so mature for his age. As soon as he arrived he looked at his mommy and stopped crying. He knew exactly what nursing was and didn't need me to teach or encourage him. Amazing! And on the first night in the hospital, we settled down to sleep and he began to fuss a bit.... But, mommy said "Go to sleep," and he stopped, and did just that... for several hours!

And still, he knows his mommy. He is a pleasant distraction for someone who is already so distracted! I took him to the lactation clinic and the nurse said, "Elijah gets the gold star today for weight gain." That's because in one week he gained a whopping 12 ounces... approaching a pound. Imagine if he grew a pound a week for the rest of his first six months. That would make him 8 + 22 pounds at six months, but, hopefully he won't grow up quite that fast. :(

Still, every day I look at him, his face has changed. It keeps getting fatter and bigger. He looks so familiar when I examine his features. It's part Ben's family, for sure, there's something else there I haven't identified yet.

There is nothing more wonderful to me than the little things we share. When he's eating he'll put his hand on mine or softly stroke my wrist. He loves to hold my hair and it doesn't hurt me. He lets me kiss him and sometimes it doesn't make him irritable :)

All the time I spent being pregnant, I never once imagined these sweet days.

As of last Thursday he is 9 lbs 6 ounces and 22 inches long. What a good baby.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)