Monday, January 16, 2006

"I Love Mormons"

As I was doing my Christmas shopping at the Bible Book House, I noticed a new book that I very much wanted to purchase, but didn't. I remember it fairly clearly.

Just the picture on the front was enough to make my heart leap and my eyes to do a double take. Here, in the midst of skimming a shelf-full of thick texts published within the last year meant to apologize against the latest LDS stances in order to demolish the strongholds of LDS doctrine and to explain the real truth of the gospel, was a thin book with a simple title and a big color photo.

The photo was of a man sitting with his back to the camera, wearing one of those big white "I [red heart] NY" - style shirts, but it said across his back "I [red heart] Mormons" -- he sat there on a little knoll overlooking the expanse, relaxed, and peacefully confident of purpose.

The solidarity I had with the man in the photo as he captured the subject's passion could have been seared with just as big letters across my own chest.

I don't think I will ever forget that image as long as I live. Nor will I forget how it stood out on the shelf of thick books with scary-fonted, dry titles.

Maybe that cover is just good marketing.



I hope not. I hope there is content that will affirm my own discoveries. One day I hope to buy it and then I can read to be sure I am not the only one who has had a revelation in my heart and mind about how to accomplish by a different or maybe theologically zany road, the Love of Christ displayed to and poured out upon these.

We'll see.

No comments:

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)