Thursday, March 26, 2009

John Maisel's FGA Conference Presentation

John Maisel is co-founder of East-West Ministries International. In the first five years of its inception, East-West's staff have exposed 4,362,464 indigenous people to the gospel.

The following are paraphrased excerpts with permission from Maisel. His presentation was given at the Free Grace Alliance National Conference on October 7, 2008.


GRACE DRIVEN MISSIONS MINISTRY

Scripture

Paul writes in Philippians 3:13-14....

Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.


To "forget that which is behind" means to forget my sins, which Satan reminds me of, but it also means my former accomplishments. I love encouragement. I take it with gratitude while face to face and then I say to the LORD afterward, "Those praises belong to you. Now, erase them from my memory." I am what I am, by the grace of God.


In East-West Ministries we have a goal we call "
The 1% Factor." We have given ourselves a 10 year timeframe, and right now we are 5 years into completion of the goal of sharing the gospel with 1% of the world's population. Five billion people on the earth are represented by 24,000 people-groups. We want to reach 100 people-groups in this ten years who have never heard the gospel.


John Maisel

Ministries that spread the gospel start off great in the beginning. But as time passes they start to fail because they get cocky. In the beginning God blesses them but then they lose touch with the passion for why they were created. This flows countercurrent to Paul's example, because at the close of his personal ministry he is melancholy and serving the saints with tears.

Our theme ought to be humility, and Paul is our example who embodied this. He is our model because he knew more about grace than any other. He knew it was all undeserved. In 1 Timothy 1:15-16 Paul says of himself

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.


and this at the end of his life, 20-30 years after his salvation! Grace is so precious to Paul. Is Paul just saying this about himself, that he is "the worst of sinners?" No, he said this as he died; he had it in his bones. I realize that I will never live life graciously and humbly without realizing that I too am the chief of sinners.

The woman who comes in to see Jesus with her Alabaster box - she is a woman who relished the grace of God. She is so overwhelmed with her acceptance. Jesus tells the story of one who owed a hundred and another who owed a million and then asks, when forgiven who loves Him the most?

BINGO.

This is a framework for grace.

"I've paid your bill, John." How do you respond to that?
"I've bought a stamp for you, John."
How about, "I've paid your mortgage, John." I'd fall at his feet. This is the perspective to keep.

John the Baptist is another example. He points out the Son of God and they begin to follow Him. Does John ever get frustrated and say to himself, "I'm going to go get my followers back!" No. John the Baptist knows that He who gave the ministry can take the ministry. Just as He who gives the health of a child can also take the health of a child.

Framework

I began to write down some guidelines so that our ministry could keep that grid of grace before us. So many ministries start off well, loving one another passionately, and somewhere along the way we lose awe and wonder in Jesus. We still can answer all kinds of questions about Jesus. Like a persona we may click it on as needed, but, where is my love affair with Jesus Christ?

The heart of the troops must be passionate about Christ. Then, when it's time to fight they will fight well.

Six guidelines came out of my meditations to be drawn up. I called my best friend and asked him to sit down and hear it out and give me his reaction.

POINT NUMBER ONE: Pursue Jesus.

Okay, my friend replies. What's the next one?

POINT NUMBER TWO: Pursue Jesus.

My friend laughs. He said, "Okay, I get it."

POINT NUMBER THREE: Pursue Jesus.

He laughs again and says "I got it."

POINT NUMBER FOUR: Now we can rest in His grace.

"Acknowledged."

POINT NUMBER FIVE: Now we can rest in His grace, and, we are free to demonstrate His grace.

"Good!"

POINT NUMBER SIX: Now we are free to rest in His grace, demonstrate His grace, and proclaim His grace.

"Excellent."

The Holy Spirit brings the examples in scripture to our remembrance so that we will know how to serve Him. Jesus said "Follow me." Does that mean He is walking out there in front of me? Or could that mean that He is here beside me, with His hand on my shoulder? I believe this is the best advice for all eternity, that He asked us to "Follow me... and I will _______ ." That is His heartbeat. You and I can do a lot. But a lot of it is wood, hay or stubble. There is no lasting achievement unless His Spirit is working in us, through us, and for His glory.

Sometimes we think we know what is good and right to serve God. Before I begin something that sounds good to do, I should ask God first: "LORD, is this okay?" "LORD, are you well pleased with this?"

What does it mean to pursue Jesus?

Pursuing is our love-relationship with Him. There are a lot of Christians in awe with Jesus, who then buy into this system of the law, because law has visible results. The law kills but the Spirit gives life. Jesus says to Peter, "Peter you're my guy, you know who I Am, are you going to step up?" He asks him, "Do you love me? Do you love me?" This is agape love for the Lord Jesus.

If Paul were here today he would be able to spot what is wrong with most churches today. Good theological churches can make the mistake of motivating people by putting them under a pile of things to do; give, serve, evangelize, and so on. "More, more, more!" Paul defends a different Spirit. We love Him because He first loved us. It is the love of Christ which compels me to get into someone's world and share the gospel and maybe even receive a knuckle sandwich for doing so. Loving Jesus comes before everything. In light of that, the serving, giving, and so forth takes care of itself.

If we plan to have a mission outwardly we have to have a mission internally to one another!

Resting in His grace, is "point number four." Most believers are coming out of a performance-based system. They receive the gift of salvation by grace but then are told too often, "Now you must prove to God how worthy you are so you can earn His love." This is incredible! No - we're not working for grace. We are working from grace. The father said I love both the prodigal and obedient son. Nothing we do can make Him love us more, and nothing we do can make Him love us less. When I finally learned that I said, "You mean He knows all my junk and loves me in a way like that?" I gave Him my life!

I will never surrender and trust Jesus, unless I know He loves me. In the same way those who know you will never surrender and trust you unless they know you love them.

I will never know that Jesus loves me until I see Him dying to self. In the same way those who know you will never know that you love them unless they see you dying to self.

Paul prayed that each one of us would know the love of Christ which surpasses understanding so that we would be full of the dwelling of Christ.

When I speak to others about East-West Ministries I am careful not to say that this is "my ministry," it's not "me." Amongst our staff we ought to be careful to demonstrate grace within our own walls. There is no "right way" to communicate the message unless grace is in our lives and in our personal relationships. The number one reason why missionaries come back from the mission field is because they cannot get along with other missionaries.

Hindrances

Grace models are tough! (The law kills but the Spirit gives life.) There are not too many churches you can put your finger on who are settled in grace. What we find many times is that we work with Christians and they get grace, and then they go back to their church and the older people crush them. You can't stand up for one hour and teach grace and expect them to get it. You have to teach and demonstrate it over and over and over. Demonstration helps because when we embrace the brokenness inside ourself we can permit the living water to flow out. In tough cultures with language difficulties, most people don't hear your words but they read your spirit.

[Sanctification's concluding remark: May the LORD's Spirit have the glory due to Him!]

2 comments:

goe said...

This is good stuff Michele. Glad you posted this!

Sanctification said...

Gary,

I agree! I realized as I was typing this up how deeply the language and lessons has impacted my intentions since October. These parts spoke permanently:

"The heart of the troops must be passionate about Christ. Then, when it's time to fight they will fight well."

"Before I begin something that sounds good to do, I should ask God first: "LORD, is this okay?" "LORD, are you well pleased with this?""

"...those who know you will never know that you love them unless they see you dying to self."


Our God is great indeed!

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." Is 40:11

blog archive

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)